This Appendix contains gravesite maps of the cemeteries in Camden County wherein the remains of black Civil War soldiers and sailors were located: Johnson Cemetery, Federal Street, Camden; Mt. Peace Cemetery, Rt. 30 & Mouldy Road, Lawnside; Mt. Zion Cemetery, Rt. 30, Lawnside; Mt. Pisgah A.M.E. Cemetery, Warwick Road & Mouldy Rd., Lawnside; Hickstown Cemetery, located behind the Living Faith Community Church, Erial Road, Gloucester Twp.; Solomon Wesley United Methodist Church Cemetery, Davistown Road, Gloucester Twp.; Jordantown (Jordan’s Lawn) Cemetery, Haddonfield Road, Pennsauken; St. Matthews Cemetery, 7400 Pleasant Ave., Pennsauken; Mt. Zion AME Cemetery, Rt. 73 EB near Kresson Road, Voorhees; Grant M.E. Cemetery, Elm Ave. between 1st and 3rd, Chesilhurst; and East Berlin Cemetery, Cooper Road, East Berlin. Dempsey Butler Cemetery located at Ferry & Charles Sts in the City of Camden is very small and all existing gravestones can be readily seen.
After a name is located in Appendix I, this Appendix will provide the cemetery and gravesite number corresponding to that name. Although most of the cemeteries are well kept, the condition of Jordantown Cemetery and the rear portion of Mt. Peace Cemetery made accessibility difficult. In many instances during my search, the physical condition of the gravestones themselves made deciphering impossible. The records may show the remains to have been interred but no record exists above ground. A few years ago the City of Camden moved the existing gravestones at Johnson Cemetery and made the area a park.
The remains are still there and in 1978, before the removal, Camden County Historian, Gail Greenberg, performed a study and plotting of Johnson Cemetery entitled A Survey of Johnson Cemetery. the work is available for review at the Camden County Historical Society. Mt. Peace Cemetery is divided into four distinct parts. Because of the number of gravesites located in Section 2 on the map, it was necessary to do a separate exploded map of this section alone which should be used along with the main map of the cemetery.
When you click on the links below, a new page displaying the map will appear over this page.
1. Mount Peace Cemetery – Lawnside, NJ
2. Mount Peace Cemetery – Section 2 Enlarged – Lawnside, NJ
3. Mount Pisgah AME Church Cemetery – Lawnside, NJ
4. Mount Zion Cemetery – Lawnside, NJ
5. Jordantown Cemetery – Pennsauken, NJ
6. Johnson Cemetery – Camden, NJ
7. Dempsey-Butler Cemetery – Camden, NJ
8. Solomon Wesley United Methodist Church Cemetery – Gloucester Township, NJ
9. East Berlin Cemetery – Berlin, NJ
10. Hickstown Cemetery – Gloucester Township, NJ
11. Mount Zion AME Church Cemetery, Vorhees Township, NJ
12. St. Matthews Methodist Cemetery – Pennsauken, NJ